4 Best Dumbbell Exercises for Beginners
The dumbbell can be used for weight training and full-body fitness. Adding weight to your workout routine can increase overall strength, tone your muscles, and improve flexibility and stability. You can do many dumbbell exercises and adjust weights to meet your needs. Dumbbells are an excellent choice for working out at home as well as at the gym.
Most gym trainers suggest beginners start with lightweight dumbbells and keep it simple. The ideal weight for beginners is between 5 to 10 pounds. Are you a beginner and want to start working out? In this guide, we put together 4 best dumbbell exercises for beginners. Let’s get started.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
The dumbell shoulder press is the best exercise for beginners to strengthen the shoulder and upper back. The shoulder press brings into action the shoulder, elbow, and wrist stabilizer muscles. It also indirectly targets abdominal muscles and helps to improve stability and balance. To do this exercise:
- Sit or stand with a dumbbell in your hands at shoulder height such that your elbows are at a 90-degree angle
- Press the dumbbells above your head until your arms are straight, and pause at the top for a moment
- Slowly return to the starting position
Dumbbell Chest Press
The dumbbell chest press is used to build the muscles of the chest. Note that you need to start with lightweight dumbbells as a beginner to avoid any injuries. Follow these steps to get started with the dumbell chest press.
- Lay back flat on the bench and keep weights close to the chest
- Press the dumbbells upward until your arms are straight
- Lower the dumbbells under control as comfortably as possible
- Contract the chest and push the dumbbell back to the starting position
The bicep curl is the basic exercise, also known as the arms curl or dumbbell curl. This exercise will build the biceps muscles and strengthen the wrist and grip. You can start with the bicep curl exercise by following these steps.
- Stand tall with your feet about the hip holding a dumbbell in each hand
- Lift the dumbbells upward by bending your elbow
- Bring the dumbbells close to your shoulder
- Bring the dumbbells back to starting position slowly
As the name suggests, triceps extension exercise targets the tricep muscles. It strengthens the muscles of the back of your arms. Triceps extension exercises can be done whether sitting on the bench or standing with your feet about shoulder-width apart. To do this exercise, follow these simple steps.
- Lift dumbbells directly over your head such that your arms are straight
- Keep elbows by your ear and make sure to bend them at an angle of 90 degrees
- Bring the weights back to your head by bending your elbows
- Slowly push back the dumbbells back to the starting position
Dumbbells are used for weight training. Weight training is an excellent way to build and strengthen your muscles. It can also make your metabolism, bones, and joints strong. In this article, we unveiled the 4 best dumbbell exercises for beginners. You can start these exercises at home. If you are going to the gym, please follow the instructions of your gym trainer.