What You Should Know When Looking To Take Your Child To A Pediatric Dentistry Modesto
Pediatric dentistry is the branch of dentistry responsible for diagnosing and treating all oral and dental problems in children. In addition, the pediatric dentist is the specialist in charge of treating babies and newborns.
Unlike other areas that focus on managing specific pathologies, such as orthodontics or periodontics, pediatric dentistry specializes in providing comprehensive treatment to an exceptional patient with whom an emotional bond is created from the early stages of life.
The main focus of the treatment provided by a pediatric dentist is preventive management so that the child develops, from an early age, healthy habits such as self-care of their oral health, a balanced diet, and a positive attitude towards treatment and professional controls. Some many oral pathologies and problems can arise in childhood:
- Caries: the appearance of dental caries is becoming more and more frequent in children. We speak of baby bottle caries. The pediatric dentist is in charge of treating its appearance and its prevention.
- Trauma: blows and falls are common in children, and it is common for them to suffer the loss or breakage of some dental piece after falls or collisions. They may need dental restoration or reimplantation.
- Malocclusion and alterations in the position of teeth: possible bite alterations that may require orthodontic treatment are studied. In this case, the child will be referred to an orthodontist.
- Genetic alterations: these affect the size, number, and shape of the teeth.
- Temporary tooth ankylosis: trauma causes necrosis of the pulp of the tooth, which turns black and hinders the eruption of the new tooth.
The difference between techniques, methods, and knowledge required by pediatric dentistry Modesto should also be noted since the teeth and mouth of children are in a constant process of formation and development. Baby teeth erupt between six and twenty-four months of age, starting with the lower incisors. As the years progress, the baby teeth begin to be progressively replaced by permanent teeth until after twelve or thirteen.
The comprehensive clinical training and knowledge of the evolutionary and psychological development of the human being allow the pediatric dentist to understand and connect emotionally with these beautiful patients who have so much to teach.
The first appointment with the pediatric dentistry Modesto should be no later than twelve months of age. This is an ideal time to do a complete examination of the oral cavity, check the soft tissues, palate consolidation, growth, and development of facial muscles, rule out infections in the mouth, or any other difficulties that require early intervention.
It is also an opportune moment to establish an emotional connection with the child and parents, clarify doubts, and review all oral hygiene and nutritional recommendations to positively impact the baby’s oral health before the baby’s primary teeth finish erupting.
The family is actively involved in this process, so its work begins with the mother’s orientation during pregnancy to prepare her for the oral health care of her baby, and subsequently, also involving the rest of the family in the development of a healthy upbringing.